Plug-in Objects vs Symbols - File Size

Can anyone comment on whether using Plug-ins versus Symbols will significantly affect file size and system performance?

We have been using symbols that we created back about MiniCad version 5 in our 2D working drawings, and although I am aware of the advantages of plug-in objects, we have never taken the time to switch over to using them instead of our tried and true symbols.

My question is mainly in regards to Floor Plan working drawings in top plan view.

We use 2D symbols for all our windows, doors, fixtures and appliances, and each plan might have from 50 to 100 symbol instances in them.

There are great things we could take advantage of if we started using plug-ins instead, but as the plug-ins store a lot of parametric data, as well as some fairly detailed 3D data, I am wondering what penalty we will pay in the size of our files and the speed of VectorWorks in working with these files.

As production Architects, we strive to keep our file sizes and system performance lean and speedy.

Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Peter Thayer, Architect

Mac G4, 1 GHz

OS 10.2.8, VW 10.5.1

In my experience Plug-In Objects (PIOs) can be a little bit heavy, but not always.

And this needn't be an either or thing, you can:

1. Turn off the 3D or the 3D detail of a PIO.

2. Create a symbol with a PIO inside, so the repeated instances are are instaces of the same symbol (and also do 1. turn the 3D off)

3. You can ajust a PIO to your needs and 'explode it' by ungrouping it (once in 2D, then ungroup a copy in 3D) and then pick the pieces to make your own hybrid (2D/3D) symbol. You can even delete unwanted details.