Damaged Files

I am using Vectorworks 10 in mac OSX and have an hp designjet 100 printer. When trying to print a drawing today, vectorworks unexpectedly quit. Now when I try to reopen the file it is damaged, and Vectorworks quits immediately. Anyone with any solutions? I have lost 9 hours of work.

About the most productive use of workgroup referencing

open a new file and workgroup reference the corupted file

as it doesn't open the file, it can help.

also try not to leave the file saved with anything other than 100% print scale in page setup.

as this can be a cause of this sort of coruption

THis is a known problem with the driver. It uses the same as the 120 I believe.

IF you are in OS 10.3, update to 10.3.1. (or the latest version).

If you are using OS 10.2.8, you probably have a corrupted, missing or duplicate font.

Please refer to posts in the Print section of the Message Board where I have outlined the troubleshoot process.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Katie:

[QB] If you are using OS 10.2.8, you probably have a corrupted, missing or duplicate font.

Katie. I've just upgraded to VW9.5.3 under OSX 10.2.8 and have experienced VW unexpectantly quitting and damaging the file with "-39 Endof file reached during Read, Attempt to read file - FSREAD" when trying to re-open the drawing. The sequence leading to a quit includings 'saving as pdf' from the print dialog and then VW quits at the next save. It looks like it may be related to one of the fonts I use (which has been fine in classic and all other apps. How do I check if the font I suspect is corrupted etc

Cheers Simon

[ 03-17-2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Simon Wrigley ]

There are a number of font utilities out there that can scan the computer for corrupt or missing component font suitcases.

Go to versiontracker.com and look at Font Doctor or search for a font repair utility there.

Cnet.com/downloads is another great place to look for utilities.

Katie. thanks for the advice. Unfortunately FontDoctor says everythings alright.

I'm having to make a copy of a file EVERY time before I print (either to the printer or saving as a pdf), the next save results in an unexpected quit and a damaged file - which gets trashed.

I can't remember ever having VW fold on me under classic so this is proving to be a big dissapointment.

I've also had VW quit on me when trying to change settings for a garage door.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Cheers Simon

You'll need to contact Tech Support at tech@nemetschek.net or 410-290-5114 and ask them to send the print repair utility.

THis will clear any printer settings that may have been previously stored in the files.

Then you can print.

You may need to run the print utility every time you access the print menu in VW 9.5.3. The problem was resolved in VW 10.1.2.

Katie,

Thanks for the advice.

I've just been sent the print repair utility but it is for printing problems not saving problems - I can print fine but VW quits on the next save. The only way around is to close the file without saving and reopening before doing more work and saves - but this can be laborious and old habbits keep leading to damaged files.

Is the latest version of VWA reliable under osx 10.2.8? Before spending a fair bit on an upgrade I need to be reassured. At the moment VW9.5.3 and osx10.2.8 is about the most unstable combination I have ever had (and that's including days past of beta testing).

Your advice is much appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

The problem is going to keep happening under VW 9.5.3 when you go to print.

You'll have to run the print repair utility every time.

LIke I mentioned earlier, this problem was fixed in VW 10. It only happens with a few specific printers.

VW 10.5.1 is reliable under OS 10.2.8 thru 10.3.