External referencing on Macs/PCs

Trying to unify the Macs and PCs in our office using a Mac OsX server has worked quite well so far, except for a natty little problem in the use of xrefs on vectorworks. Basically we find that an xref target and master set up using the PC machines works but the xref is not correctly resolved when opened on a Mac machine, seemingly because the server name is different.

To start at the beginning ...

We have had no problems with permissions or sharing of files for other applications using this server now that it has been properly configured.

We have VW 10.5.0 running on both Mac and PC machines. The PC machines have windows 2000, the Macs have Mac OsX 10.3.2.

We have noticed that the first part of the path to the master file when viewed with a PC machine initially appears to be //{PC windows Name of server}/Folder 1/Folder 2/LibraryMaster.mcd but once an external link has been relinked, on opening with a Mac, it now appears to be //{IP address of server}/Folder 1/Folder 2/LibraryMaster.mcd (when viewed again on a PC.)

If anyone can give some advice on which networking protocols we should use to provide maximum external filename compatibility would be most helpful.

Many thanks

Kurt Haselwimmer

we don't used mixed network

but we do use Os X server

a couple of thoughts

You can set the name of mac server

possiblely the same as it windows workgroup name.

instead of by ip address

or it may sound silly but if you turn off mac fill sharing on the server. the mac clients should still be able to access via the windows sharing.

the other option maybe to use WebDAV as common sharing system.

[ 01-28-2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: iboymatt ]

that's an interesting thought iboymatt - turning off the AFP I'll have to think how that will affect all our other applications.

Still, I'd have thought that I should be able to get my mac VW users to log into the file server via SMB when they want to do some VW work. I thought I had tried this but it had not worked, but I'll try it again and report back.

Thanks for the interest,

Kurt