Default configuration

I'm a new Vectorworks user, showing up here from a DataCad platform. I'm still a bit uneasy about the whle layers/classes thing, and I'm wondering what's the best way to set up a default drawing template.

I build mostly fairly small, simple residences.

I thought that it might be best to set up layers for plot plans, footings, stemwalls, floors, walls, roofs, sections, and elevations, each with their own Z settings.

Classes might be dimensions, notes, room labels, furniture, exterior walls, interior walls, plumbing, electrical, cabinets, floor tile, and ?

So what is the best way to categorize windows and doors? Or should I just ignore them and let them kinda go wherever they put themselves.

The Vectorworks documentation does an OK job of describing what the commands do, but not a very good job of telling how to use the software to produce output.

A little input from a Vectorworks pro would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

That's the best way to do.

Every object is assigned to a layer and a class.

The layers are designed for elevations - basically, you will put each floor on it's own layer. Floor 1 walls, windows, furniture etc can go on Layer 1.

Floor 2 walls, windows, furniture, etc, can go on Layer 2.

Layers have z and delta z values, so when you go to create your elevations, everything is displayed properly - as long as you use the proper settings.

z in where in the elevation you want the objects on that layer to start in the overall building height.

delta z is the thickness value of objects on that layer.

Say floor one goes on layer 1 and floor 2 goes on layer 2.

Floor 1 has 9' walls, no slab (for demonstration sake) and it starts on the ground, or z=0

Floor 2 starts just above that, with 8' walls, no slab.

The roof starts just above floor 2.

The layer settings will be as follows -

Layer 1 - z=0, delta z=9' (for the total thickness of all objects on that layer)

Layer 2 - z=9', delta z=8'

THe 9' is because you want layer two to start right on top of layer one without space. Since layer 1's total thickness is 9', then layer two will start where layer 1 leaves off.

The thickness is 8' since the z thickness is based on the 8' walls.

The roof layer - z=17', delta z=x

The roof will start just above floor 2, so you need to add layer 1 z plus layer 2 z to get the layer 3 z.

The roof layer doens't need a delta z, you can leave it at 0 - UNLESS you plan to add things on top of the roof in another layer.

Now that layers is explained - classes are used for classification, mostly for visibility settings.

Dimensions may go in the dimensions class, windows may go in the none class, or windows class, same with doors, furniture may go in the furniture class, electrical will go in an electrical class, HVAC pipes may go in an HVAC class, etc.

You have the flexibility to place objects in any class you want. THe great thing about classes is the ability to turn them off and on, or invisible and visible respectively.

If you just want to look at the framing plan of the walls, you may want to turn the furniture, plumbing, electrical, and HVAC objects off. To do this, if things are classed properly, you just turn the classes with those objects in them off, or invisible (black diamond)

Does all this make sense?

I know it's difficult to switch to another CAD program after many years in another one.

This message board is a good place to get answers to questions like "I used XYZ cad program and I'm looking for the same command in VW" ..

If you haven't already gotten the training CDs for Foundation, you may want to look into them. They are a good visual aid for the learning curve and they give industry related examples.

The User's Guide is better as a reference guide rather than a trainer since it doesn't always give a concise real world industry example of how to use specific features.

I hope this helps!

Thank you Katie!

That's pretty much what I came to. I figured to put in another layer for floor joists so that my floor framing plans would work out.

I've got the training CD's, and I've been through them. They kind of help. I suppose it would be almost impossible without them, but so far it's been tough with them, too.

I'm starting out with a garage, and its hard to believe that it could be this difficult to draw even with years of DataCad behind me!

I can hardly wait to start plotting! [Wink]

I'm afraid I maight be back here from time to time...

Thanks again.

And maybe I need a LayerLink layer, to keep the weird layer link lines on. And to keep from driving myself crazy (crazier?) I should set this layer to invisible so I won't keep trying to do something with these weird lines that I can't snap to unless I'm in this LinkLayer.

And is it true that when you have layers that are linked you can only snap to objects in them when you have their home layers set to active? I sure have lots of things that I can't snap to floating around....

Makes me wish for DataCads Identify feature: if you can see it, you can find out all about it. You can even match settings to it. Oh well.

If you can't select or snap to something you see on the screen, it can be one of a few things.

1. The objects are on a layer other than the active layer and the active layer is set to a different view and/or scale than the other objects.

3D objects can only be snapable across layers when the layers are the same layer scale and set to the same view.

2. The objects are on another layer or class than the active class. If this is the case, go to Organize>Layer Options and Organize>Class Options. You will want "Show/Snap/Modify Others" checked.

3. The objects are locked - such as a layer link.

When using layer links, the layer link should be created on it's own layer.

A Layer Link is locked, so you can't make changes to it or snap to it. If you unlock it, you can make changes to it, but any changes made on the original layer will not be updated in the layer link after unlocking the layer link.

The only way to delete a layer link is to select it, unlock it, hit delete OR delete the layer it's on. (This is why I suggest layer links be created on their own layers)

Layer links are really good for looking at the total package in an elevation or isometric view. Also, if you are goinig to render the drawing, only the active layer is capable of being rendered. This is where Layer Links are also useful. All you have to do is set the layer link to the active layer and render away. You may want to hide the other layers (ORganize>Layer OPtions) so you aren't looking at several objects not rendered in the background.

You may want to research the eyedropper tool. This allows you to pick up attributes of an object and apply it to another object.

Say you have dash style 4, blue line, red fill with a pattern applied to a square. You want those same settings applied to another object, but don't want to go through all the steps in the Attributes palette to get there.

Just grab the eyedropper tool, click on your first object, press the U key (or click on the place attribute mode in the mode bar) and click on the second object. Voila!