VW10 in OSX crashing and corrupting files

This is a known issue Apple is currently working on with a number of printer manufacturers.

Basically, durring a session of VW, accessing the page setup and print dialog causes a number of files to open in the background. Somehow, those files aren't being closed properly and some other stuff goes on - basically magic -

If you do this enough in a single session of VW, your document will become corrupt.

The only way to resolve the problem is to close VW after you've printed once or twice.

Hopefully, Apple will have this addressed in a future version of the OS.

I think VW 10.5. may fix a minute part of this related to VW. The bulk of the problem falls on the OS from what I understand.

I'm here for the thread title. I wanted to note that for me, 10.5 is also crashing. Boom, out of the blue. Twice today. Approximately once a day since I upgraded to 10.5. For me, 9.5 and 10.1 crashed so rarely, maybe once every 3 months. I'll watch and see if I can see a pattern. Just a minute ago, it crashed when I had two files open, each on a different screen, and I switched active files and changed a layer and goodbye. That is not repeatable.

Regards,

Donald

I am running VectorWorks 10.1.2 on an iMac G4 and OS 10.2.6. In the past couple of days VectorWorks has been crashing frequently, and twice it corrupted the file I was working on, to the extent that I could not open the file again and the application crashed in the process of trying.

I have narrowed the problem down to the print function; it seems to occur when I try to save the file after printing a page. I recently upgraded my printer driver after having margin problems in other applications. I am printing to an hp deskjet 3820 and the latest driver is hp deskjet 2.2.1.

Any help would be appreciated... Katie?

• Administrator

There is a problem which is fixed in VW 10.5 where certain print drivers return non-standard data and can result in document corruption. Known instances of this include a handful of Japanese language printer drivers as well as the HP DesignJet 100/120. We are unaware of this problem with DeskJet drivers, but that may be the root of your issue. I think VectorWorks 10.5 has a pretty good chance of resolving it if it is a related HP print driver issue.

Donald - there is no doubt that while MacOS X is a more robust operating system than MacOS 9, the application environment under MacOS X has challenged VectorWorks' reliability because of changes in the way many APIs work. We are working with Apple to identify and resolve these issues, and a number of fundamental improvements are in the works for Apple's next MacOS X release.