Constant crashing when rendering with OpenGL

I updated the drivers on my graphics card last week and ever since VW is constantly crashing with runtime errors when I attempt to render in OpenGL. I have tried reverting to an earlier driver and although the problem is reduced any file over about 4Mb still crashes.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to resolve the problem?

Christian

VW10.1.2

W2K SP4

PIII 550Mhz 392Mb RAM

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64

Christian, I use OpenGL a lot. My system:

VW 10.1.2

Win2k/WinXP

P4 2.0G

768M RAM

NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200

You may be suffering from too slow a processor, or maybe your video card / driver has some kind of problem. I would suggest there might be some kind of file-specific problem, but it seems as though you have experiemented with a variety of files.

[ 09-03-2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

Katie

This problem occurred with any file over about 4.5Mb, that had been saved as an OpenGL rendered model. It would also happen if I tried to render a similar sized file, that had been saved in wireframe.

I have not been using transparent textures.

The only lighting I have set is the sun and ambient.

I think I have resolved the problem. I hadn?t contacted you yet, because I have thought that I had solved the problem before and it then re-occurred.

I have gone back to the NVIDI site and downloaded the earliest certified driver that I could find ? 29.42. This seems to have sorted it out. I tried drivers 45.23 & 40.72 neither of which worked.

This problem only affected VW, I have another application that used OpenGL and there was no problem with it.

What might concern you is that these drivers are common to many different NVIDIA cards and are supposed to be fully backwardly compatible, although of course the problem may be limited to just to my particular combination of card and driver etc, etc.

I don?t know where the problem lies, with NVIDIA, or with VW, but if it is with VW I hope that the above helps you narrow down a problem.

Christian