cliping imported polylines

I have imported basemap information from a cd given to me by the county. I need to clip this information to fit in the sheet layout i am using but when i use the clip tool it doesnt work. being completely new I may be using the tool wrong. I am not sure. any advice would be appriciated

One other question the map i got is in layers on 6-10 separate DXF's they stack when opened in autocad and xrefed ontop of each other, however when imported into vectorworks they do not stack in the correct position. IE my contours are two lots away from where they are supposed to be and the main street is 500 yards away. is there a way to make vectorworks import a dxf with 0,0 in the dxf set as 0,0 in vectorworks?

It should import using the 0,0 origin of the file.

The XREF files in AutoCad will need to be imported into individual files in VW (suggested way) and then workgroup reference the files together. Any changes that need to be made to the data needs to occur in the original VW file.

The other way to do it is to import each dxf file into a new blank VW document. Copy and paste the layer of data into a VW document using paste in place. This will retain the origin.

If the objects are off when doing this - the origin is probably not the same in the dxf files - which is a common problem amongst AC users.

If you need to cut the polylines off a specific point, you may want to use the split by line tool. Draw a line along the edge you want cut - then go back and select the part of the polygon you want to delete and then delete it.

If you just want to hide a part of the data- you may want to use a polygon that has a hole cut out in the middle using the clip surface command. The hole will show your data while the solid part of the polygon will mask the part you don't want to show.

If you just need to resize the data, you may want to use layer scale to do this. No data is lost or cut and the layer scale just changes the ratio the objects show on the screen. The actual size of the objects remains the same.