2D 3D Symbol Pickup

This question sounds like the kind of question that should have a stupidly simple answer, but for the life of me, I cannot think of one. Why can't the 2D Symbol Pickup tool also pick up 3D symbols if in Plan View? Or some similar solution to the problem? In modifying a plan I want to put a cabinet on another wall and relocate the sink and a window. But I can't figure out a way to easily move them into another wall. The 2D Symbol Tool won't pick them up be/c they are 3D (though if you select it from the browser, it's the 2D tool that is selected, so...) and the 3D symbol tool doesn't have a pickup mode. So I have to go and find the original in the resource browser. Is there a better way?

[ 06-09-2003, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: Cloud Hidden ]

If using the 3d selection tool, your view should automatically be switched to a Top view when the tool is enabled.

If you select the 2d selection tool while in top or top plant view, you should still be able to pick up the objects and move it.

Since you can't, can you please include the version of VW you are using.

Also include if you used the plugin object in the Objects palette or a symbol from the resource browser or a symbol you created.

If it's one you created, please go to the resource browser/resource palette and ensure that it is a 2d/3d symbol.

Create a new document. Draw a wall. Insert the "Door" object from the Arch Standards file. Then try to pick it up using the pick-up symbol tool. You get, "The selected object is not a 2D symbol." But if you double click that very symbol in the resource browser, it's the 2D symbol tool that is selected. So it would seem that VW sees it as sufficiently 2D for initial placement, but not for pickup. This is all in Plan View.

VW 10.2 Mac OSX 10.1.5

There's a Pick-up mode on the 2d symbol insertion tool. Page 5-18 in the manual. It won't pick-up windows, plumbing, some electrical symbols be/c they're not 3D, but when you select that very same symbol from the Resource Browser, it's the very same 2D Symbol Insertion Tool that's selected.