Linking spaces in worksheets

Hi All

Is there a way to link spaces across multiple floors so that they are displayed as one element in a worksheet?

We are using a database based worksheet to generate area schedules. We then use if/then rules to automatically schedule out number of cycle spaces, min. balcony areas and car parking spaces based on local regulations based on the area of each residential unit

This works really well until you have a duplex unit in a block of flats. We use the SUM function to combine the two units into one item but the worksheet isn't clever enough to realise that they are one unit and therefore doubles the number of parking spaces and the area of the balcony required.

Being able to link spaces to form duplexes would be incredibly useful. Any thoughts on how this can be achieved?

A link to our file is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17200339/031P-NMA-XX-ZZ-M3-A-10004.vwx

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi Alan,

I haven't worked through it, but what immediately comes to mind is some sort of class identifier where the criteria in the worksheet is set to only look for that.

Wes

Thanks for the input Wes.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you'd need a separate database header for each Duplex unit within my worksheet?

I'm not convinced that would work as I'd still have use the sum function to combine spaces on separate floors into duplex units but perhaps I'm missing something...

Guest Wes Gardner

Alan,

I was thinking of something like this where part of the Criteria that the database header row looks for would be a class called "My Unique Data" (or something meaningful). Where that class would only be assigned to the Spaces that you want included.

Dunno if this will work, but a thought...maybe not a good one :-)

Yeah, so far this doesn't work as it eliminates the second floor's area from the calculation...dang

Sorry...never mind

Wes

Edited by Wes Gardner

Thanks for having a go Wes.

The UK BIM standards prevent us from creating additional classes for duplexes I believe. We would have to class them all as 'residential spaces' we could get round it by using one of the data fields to denote them as duplexes.

Not withstanding this it doesn't appear that we can combine multiple spaces into a duplex unit without creating a much more complicated area schedule.

Could this function be added to databases in the future? Could it just build on the link spaces feature which you can use for space planning?