Exporting low opacity objects to PDF

Stoli

I'm currently having issues getting low opacity to render in PDF. I read somewhere that PDFs can't take opacity changes from VW, so I then tried putting the objects on a separate class and graying it, and exporting like that, but the fill then doesn't show up, it's just the grayed lines.

Is there a way to create a PDF that has a translucent shape on it? Something else I should try? Can I select part of a sheet layer and tell it to render as an image in the PDF?

VW 2015

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To clarify: Are you exporting to PDF, printing to PDF, or trying to alter the opacity of a PDF object in a Vectorworks document that you have imported?

File > Export > Export PDF (this is NOT the same as File > Print Save as PDF or File > Export > PDF Quartz Only) should handle opacity just fine, (example attached) but thats per-object opacity, not the same as layer opacity, or graying a layer or class.

I'm exporting to PDF, not printing to PDF. Your example is exactly what I need - I'm not sure why it isn't working for me.

...And I just tried it and it worked fine, when I export a single page. When I export all pages, it does not show the correct opacity.

Edit: After trying a few things:

I'm exporting a sheet layer with 22 pages (each page a different viewport). When I export multiple pages, using the "Export pages x through x, only the first page exported has the correct opacity. All remaining pages (whether it's one or 21) do not have correct opactiy, they have the objects as full opacity.

Edited by Stoli

Updated to SP4, didn't help, still having the same issue.

Example just to be clear: pages 12 and 13 of my document both have the same low opacity shapes. When I export only those two pages to PDF, page 12 is correct while page 13 is not. If I export all pages, nothing shows up with low opacity because the first page does not have any low opacity shapes.

Edit: Trying other things: exporting as image file (JPEG) works correctly. However I would prefer to export as PDF instead of converting image files around. I can also export each as a single page and combine, but once again, I would rather see if its possible to fix this issue, instead of using work arounds. I have also tried printing to PDF using CutePDF writer, did not work.

Edited by Stoli