MA3D / Viewport fixture locations

Hey, I have a MA3d/vectorworks question. I began creating my shows in vectorworks to make my plots and such. I use viewports for my vertical fixture grids, I was wondering how you guys go about importing the positions of fixtures in viewports? I assume it isn't possible the way I am trying because the data is in the referenced layer. What do you guys do workflow wise?

James -

I wish I had a good answer to your question but none of the translators/exporters for any of the current pre-viz systems truly know what to do with DLVP data or geometry. IMHO, this is a pretty significant VW element to ignore - especially considering the fact that VW knows how to handle that info internally (just watch DLVP fixtures refocus themselves when you move or rake a DLVP).

As to MA3D, specifically, do you or anyone else have a sane/practical workflow for getting VW fixture data into existing MA shows? The suggested workflow is, again IMHO, more than a little convoluted.

I just started using VW about a week and a half ago. Took me a long time to wrap my head around DLVP. Once I did, I saw why it is so awesome and time saving. I went and built a show using this method, then tried to export to MA3d. Didn't work and I realized why.

I actually went ahead and build everything in my show in 3D space. Everything has gone semi smooth as far as importing objects. Draw backs I can see, 2D plots will need to be thought about. Moving things is kind of a drag, I group stuff to help. The DLVP is really easy to move my stuff easily and as one piece.

Found a work around to the multi-instance fixtures. Just import some random multi-instance fixture and change it in the fixture types menu in MA.