Poor Print Quality using Draw Beams

I am trying to shrink and print a 1:48 scale plot onto an 8x11 sheet using an HP LaserJet P4010 Series Printer. Normally, the modified plot is brilliant and crisp with this printer! It's great for "personal copies" for my lighting crew during hang.

But when I enable "Draw Beams" on any light symbol, everything overlapping that beam looks like it's worse than 72dpi. I can't even tell the difference between a Strand SL and an ETC Source Four, much less the beam width of the light. I normally print at 1200dpi (under the printer settings and under "doc pref" -> "resolution" -> "output") but that all seems to go away when the Beam layer (or whatever it technically is) is included.

If I have a Design Layer stacked above the layer with the Beam activated, it's nice and crisp. But everything within the layer and below is affected. Considering that I need to know the type of instruments on the plot (the resolution is that bad) I would like to find a solution to the resolution instead of finding a Design Layer workaround. Does anyone know if there is a way to increase the Beam resolution and everything behind it?

Thanks!

[EDIT] I'm using Vectorworks 2014 on a Mac running Mavericks

Edited by spastickyle