Oval window wall opening

I've seen tutorials on how to make window symbols, but I'm still having a hard time with an oval window. I have built the symbol how I want it, but it won't insert in the wall. Do I need to make a wall hole component? That doesn't work any of the ways I've tried (drawing the oval in elevation or the rectangle in plan) so surely I'm doing something wrong or missing a step. Any ideas?

Thanks!

PS VW 2013

Edited by Amelia S
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

When you are using the Window tool, do you have the mode for "Wall Insertion" enabled? It should be the 3rd button in the tool bar with the Window tool active.

When you go to place the window, does it highlight the wall in red when you hover the cursor over it, before clicking to insert? Does the window say it is a "Window in Wall" in the object info palette, or just "Window"?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Make sure to check the Insert in Wall option for the symbol insertion tool as well as the selection tool.

If it is off for the selection tool specifically, then you wont be able to drag the symbol away from the wall then drag it back to insert it in the wall either:

[img:center]http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=10483&filename=selection%20tool%20wall%20insertion.PNG[/img]