file should remember VW version

Dillon

Question

Since VW comes out with a new version every year

and each version requires updating files from older versions

and the updated files are often unreliable/unstable

many VW users run multiple versions of the program and don't update old files

However, on Mac, VW always opens every file with the most recent version of the program. This is an annoyance. It requires the user to remember which version each VW was created with and manually open the file in that version.

So can you teach VW to remember the file version and open it with the correct version of VW?

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Unfortunately I am fairly certain this is controlled by the operating system directly. Vectorworks can not control it on its own, since the most granular you can make this control on Mac is via the extension, which has been .VWX for all versions since 2008.

I will submit this wish but I believe it is not possible outside of something implemented by Microsoft/Apple.

However a trick you can use to see what version of Vectorworks a file was made in (iof you need this info in the future) is to open it in TextEdit or Notepad, it will tell you the version/build it was made in originally and the last version it was saved in as well, near the top.

Edited by JimW

This has been a real Pain in the Proverbial for much too long.

It may be Apple's dictatorial attitude, but i'm sure there's something that can be done, primarily to keep the Icon as it was when the file was created, and then at least that version could be opened in the OS and release that the file works under.

Nice pointer Jim, Thanx, but i'd prefer that to happen on auto.

Weren't Computers supposed to take all that extra work away . . . . . ?

If only to avoid a dialogue that tells you something is not in keeping with the OS's current state of mind.

2013 did a lot of that with old files.

Currently, as soon as a new version is installed, EVERY VW file adopts that releases logo. Very Unhelpful