Creating Line Types

Saw an editing line type question here, and thought I would ask the related creating new line types question.

Specifically, we had used colors to differentiate different irrigation and drain line sizes, and some contractors print in BW only, so they had troubles.

Besides assigning a line type and weight to different size pipes, and putting those in the legend, is there an easy way to edit the water line pipe (dashed line with intermittent "W") or others to have the label say something like "IR6" or "DR8"?

In an old version, I think one of my former employees used the repetitive symbol tool, but can't recall exactly. Probably in the help guide somewhere, but any knowledge from the board is appreciated.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you duplicate one of the custom line types (In this test I just took the the GAS---GAS---GAS--- one) in the resource browser, then edit the duplicate, you can choose to edit the Geometry. Once you do this, you should be able to add any text you like.

The older solution would have been to create a symbol of one instance of the lines repetition, then use the Repetitive Unit Tool, but the Custom Line Types are much easier to work with in most cases.

Jim,

Thanks. Gave that a try and it works. It appears that color cannot be part of the line type, but must be applied later?

Also, it appears that I cannot edit line width while in the line edit mode. If I edit the line on the work area, it changes.

Edited by Rossford
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, the color is an attribute that is applied separately from the style itself within the attributes palette. The thickness is separate as well.

To easily change all of them at once, you could use the Select Similar tool, set it to select anything with that particular pen style, then change the color or thickness of all of those items at the same time.