EDIT CLASSES FREEZE UP

Spending some time editing classes on an existing document to create my VW 2014 Template for the office.

Every so often, the functionality stops, and I get a "ding" but cannot do anything.

Any guesses? I did close the document using task manager, and reopened, with some unsaved work, but I would like to keep working without that.

Thanks in advance.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

How were you editing the classes? Through the "New Class" options 2014 adds in the OIP/Navigation palette, or via Organization?

Is it popping up a confirmation window of some kind behind the main drawing area? To test this you may need to cause the problem again, then try moving all the windows/palettes to check behind them and/or try Alt-tab a number of times to see if it activates.

Well,

I don't know the cause of the freeze, but in hitting around the keyboard, using the escape key got me out of the freeze.

To answer, I was using the Organization pallet. When I hit one class to delete it froze. After hitting the escape key, there was a message that the class needed a resource. Not sure, but I do know I was eliminating a class that had imported from an ACAD drawing (and to me, should have been reclassed before working on that last project...but that is another story!)

I thought I had deleted everything in the main drawing before editing, but maybe there are some stray objects out there in outer space that are causing the problem.

Thanks!

Another weird one. I have a new class, not adopted by me knowingly, that appears to be Chinese characters (I have done some Chinese projects, but didn't use those drawings for the new template drawing, but they may have slipped in somehow.)

In any event, nothing happens when I click on this class in either the navigation or organization pallets.

Any hints on this one?

For anyone interested, I opened a new blank document, imported all the classes and layers I wanted, but didn't import the rogue class. All seems fine. A little bit of work to do that, but not much, and much better than wondering if your system was going to continually crash because of some bug.....