Editing "Call Out" Text

I've been editing "Call Out" text in the objects menu after automatically trying the text tool a bunch of times after upgrading to Ver 9. The objects menu method is fairly clunky.

I noticed today that you can edit a "Call Out" text box also by selecting that tool from the line tool pallete and drag it accross the call out text on your screen and it opens in a popup edit window.

A designer I once worked with would call an unexpected event like this a "happy" and this certainly counts as one.

[smile]

Andy,

Actually you can use any size point for text. It won't show in the Text Size drop down box as those are just default sizes. You can use the Set Size and enter in the points number, or one of the other units. The text will display with that point size on the drawing. If you are using something like 5 or 4, you may need to be at 1:1 or leave "scale text" unchecked in the layers dialog box. You also may need to be zoomed in to 100% for the text to be visible and VW to process.

I just tried it in VW 9 and 10 and it works. It just doesn't show you the size number in the Text>Size menu.

When using the callout tool, make sure you click on the Settings button (where you type in the text for the note) and select "Default" font size. Again, you'll need to be zoomed in 100% or at 1:1 or both to be able to use something so small. You will need to make sure point size 4 (or whatever) is the default point size BEFORE you create your callouts.

I just tried it in VW 9 and 10 and it works just fine.

Create a call out size 12.

Deselect the callout.

Go to Text>Size Set Size.

Enter in size 4 points

Go to the call out tool.

Click on settings.

Change size 12 to "Default"

Click on Ok.

Go to the callout tool and draw a callout.

The callout will display in a size 4.

The problem is that the settings change doesn't take affect until you start the callout tool with the new settings. Since you click on the callout tool, draw the callout, then change the settings, the settings will be applied to the NEXT instance a callout is drawn.

I'll buglist this, however it does work. You just need to draw two callouts. The settings need to be set BEFORE creating/drawing the callout. I guess a preference button in the mode bar would alleviate this problem.

Thanks for looking into this. It's no big deal obviously, I tend to use several styles of callouts and rather than change the settings I just copy one that looks like the one I want. I think it would be better if the callout text worked the same way as the dimension text. The format text tool should work on callouts.

[smile]

[ 10-02-2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: AndyM7777 ]