Scaling Hatches

defjef

Katie... I think you might try to scale a hatch in 8.52 by scaling the object. When I do it the object changes size... but the hatch stays the same. Essentially the hatch appears to be like what you see when you look through the object you choose to hatch. If you move the object.. the hatch pattern seems anchored to some unseen point. So if you create a brick pattern.. you cannot expect the bricks to start at a full brick for example... the only way to achieve this would be to move the object that has the brick hatch on the drawing until it aligns with a full brick.

You can't turn a hatch into a collection of lines to group or do anything with. What IS a hatch?

Defjef,

There are apparently two ways of applying hatches in 8.5. One is by way of the attribute palette, which I believe is the method you are using. The other is the old way, via the hatch command on the pull-down menu. The second way applies the same hatches, but the result is a group of lines rather than a mystery entity.

Beyond this, I don't have a great answer to your question. I have been able to place hatches in an appropriate position within a polygon using the old menu command method, because the insertion point can be controlled. It would be nice to have a hatch "preview" that would allow the exact placement of a hatch pattern by dragging before it is applied.

If you use the hatch command via the Tool menu, you can move the hatch around and place it where you want. It's kind of like placing a door or window. You get an outline of a square and click to place it.

You can't scale a hatch in VW 8. That was one of the big wish list features that was implemented for VW 9.

If scaling a hatch is critical to you, you may want to upgrade. There are alot of good things about upgrading. Alot of new features that you discuss on this message board that are not integrated with VW 8.

A hatch is a resource made of up lines that are displayed in a repetative fashion.

If you would like the individual lines instead of it as a hatch, you can ungroup the object. This will give you an individual line for each repeat of the lines used to create the hatch pattern.

defjef, you can scale a hatch created from the menu command because it is a group of lines, plain and simple. However, scaling the group of lines alone will cause it to no longer fill the object it originally filled unless the object is scaled by the same factor. Also, scaling has no effect on the hatch pattern stored in the resource called by the scaling command.

Yes you can scale a hatch in 8.5.2. There is a post on this board that tells you how. I do not remember the exact method. It involves changing layer scales. I did it a while a go with the VW soil hatch. I created several versions in different sizes.

Do a search in this board for hatch and you will probably find the solution I am speaking of.