after upgrade to xp-select handles dont work

I have recently upgrade all my computers to windows xp. On one of my machines the selection handle dont work properly- ie. if I put my cursor on a selection handle an arrow should appear to indicate the ability to stretch the rectangle- this no longer happens-only the cross cursor is displayed. Iam running VW 8.5.2 on a 333mhz with 256 ram. On all the other (newer) machines VW works great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aloha,

Dave

When you select the 2d selection tool, check the mode bar to see if the first button, interactive scaling mode button is pressed in. Without that button pressed in, you will not get a resize cursor.

Katie thanks for the response, I checked the button and it is depressed-and stil no resize cursor. I have also noticed quirky behavior in other areas --for example a text cursor instead of an selection arrow, a resize cursor instead of cross to zoom in or zoom out.---just to name a few.

?? any suggestions ??

as you can imagine, this is really killing my production time- so any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mahalo,Dave

Dave, This is certainly odd behavior. The first thing I would do is to reset the registry entry to VW. This will delete the preferences set for VW. If that doesn't work, then you might want to try to reinstall.

Here's how to edit the registry -Go to the start menu, select run and type in regedit and key enter.This should bring up a registry editor. You don't need to be in regedit32 for this funtion.

Click the plus sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USERClick the plus sign next to SoftwareClick one time on the Nemetschek folder. Key the delete key on the keyboard. Select Yes if you get a prompt asking you if you are sure you want to delete this registry key.

Shrink that up by clicking on the minus signs.

Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEClick the plus sign next to SoftwareClick one time on the Nemetschek folder. Key the delete key on the keyboard. Select Yes if you get a prompt asking you if you are sure you want to delete this registry key.

Shrink it all back up again.

Go to the Registry menu at the top and select Exit.

Restart the computer and launch VW. See if things have changed. (You will need to enter in your name, company name and serial number(s))

If that doesn't seem to fix things, run thru the above steps again. From the control Panal select Add/Remove programs and delete all entries for the currnet version of VectorWorks. Reinstall VW and see if that helps you out any. If you still have problems, let us know and we'll go from there.

I was also just informed that this could be a problem with the video driver you may have installed. If you used the XP video driver for your video card and never updated to a manufacturer video driver, you may get the results you see. Check to see if the manufacturer of your video card has a driver available. If so, download and install that driver. Restart the computer and see if the problems in VW still persist. If so, then go to the above post and follow those steps.

Katie,

Thanx for your help with this-

I run multiple moniters on my system(three) and the video card was a likely suspect. One of the video cards was an old s3 type that had no xp drivers available. I resolved the problem by lowereing the color requirements in display properties box-

Thanks again for your help- hope my resolution can help someone else.

Aloha

Dave smile.gif" border="0