A tip for getting 2D lines to show up in Section Viewports

Here is a tip, as newbie Vectorworks 2012 user, I wanted to pass on to help other newbies to avoid my frustration.

I am working on a 7 story apartment project that has a panelized exterior. To indicate the panel joints I used the line tool to draw them on the wall face using the automatic active plane mode. This process worked very well and I had no view problems in the design layer views, elevations, or camera views. But it was in the section viewport that the lines did not show up. Because of the form of the building I need to use section viewports to get accurate elevation views.

Too make a long story short, after digging through the Vectorworks help, searching this forum, doing an extensive online search, and contacting Vectorworks Tech Support, it was through trial and error that I finally found a simple solution. Select the 2D line elements and use the Convert to 3D Polys tool. By becoming 3D polygons the linework was now visible in all views.

If you have other solutions to this view issue please share them. I?m sure I?m not the first user to encounter this section viewport issue.

pma2011

VW2012 SP3

i7-2760QM 2.40GHz

8GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 2000M

Windows 7 64-bit