Optimal Platform and VW Version

Reading about all the bugs and problems with vw9.x I was wondering which combination of platform and version is the most bug free and reliable? I am still in 8.52 and despite its problems... I am hestiant to move up because the cure sounds worse than the disease. I know 8.52 is the end of the line in eight and no work is done by the VW engineers on it.... but I am still not sure if I do not up grade my hardware and operating system will ANY version of 9 be an improvement or a problem and WHAT are the basic improvements. If they are related to 3D modelling, for exampple, it would be of no use to me at this date. As marc anthony sings... "I need to know."

Well I won't go into features, I think 9 wins over 8 hands down there, but where stability is concerned....

Stay away from Windows 95/98/Me, if you want a stable system get Windows NT/2K/XP.

MacOS prior to version 9.1 seems to get more than it's fair share of problems. I suspect this just has to do with the age of the machines in general and other software installed than anything else.

On a Mac, do not use any version of OpenGL before 1.2.1. For Windows, please make sure the video drivers on your machine are "close" to up to date. If you are using the drivers included with the Windows CD then you are just asking for problems.

MacOS X seems to be very good as long as you don't try to install all your old goodies into it. Also, as Apple has proven to us, the OS is still new enough that they are making major tweaks as in the most recent 10.1.5 patch. I would wait until 10.2 right now.

Overall, I find 9.5.1 to more stable for day to day work thank 8.5.2. Particularly if you work with AutoCAD files for any amount of time as 9 is much improved over 8 in this area.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support