Trade Show in Anaheim

Yesterday I attended the A/E/C Systems 2002 trade show in Anaheim California. This is an annual show for computer software and hardware in the architecture and construction industry.

There were large showy booths for Autodesk, Bently, FormZ out in the center of the convention floor. Off in the corner in a tiny booth was Nemetschek. At the Nemetschek booth there was NO mention of Vectorworks! There were no signs and no sales material. They were only showing Allplan.

This show comes to the West Coast about once every four years. Imagine my surprise when the software that I use every day, Vectorworks, is not represented. I felt like the kid at his high school graduation whos own parents did not show up. I was very confused and disappointed.

Why would Nemetschek have a booth at this industry trade show and not represent Vectorworks? I think it would have been better if Nemetschek did not attend the show at all. At least I could explain that as a decision to not spend the money. But to have the booth with the Nemetschek name and not refer to Vectorworks is just plain bizzare. It was no different than if Autodesk had only shown Revit at their booth and not shown Autocad. Do you think people would have been confused to show up at the Autodesk booth and not seen Autocad? Of course!

If Nemetschek has an explanation, I would love to hear it.

P.S. I was looking forward to meeting the faces behind the names. I thought I would at least get to meet Robert Anderson.