wierd render issue

Can anyone give me a clue ...

I made a simple rectangle, clipped a couple shapes on the perimeter to make 'holes', then extruded it. Then I used subtract solids to put grooves across the top. (I was modeling an EZ Dock Pier section). That's all i did in this brand new file on VW2012. Oddly, the dock section renders OK in OpenGL, but when I try to render it in final Renderworks, it is as if all the 'holes' and grooves are stripped out, and all I'm left with is a extruded rectangle (and it turns into a wireframe and doesn't render surfaces). I can switch back into top/plan view, and all the grooves and holes are still there.

Is there an explanation for this ? or better yet ... can someone suggest a fix ?

in case anyone cares ... I answered my own question. The answer is ... do nothing, then come back the next day and it fixes itself.

(PS: before submitting this problem, I had already saved saved the file, quit and restarted VW and the Mac OS, and nothing fixed it.) The old saying is true ... "time heals all wounds" .... even in computer files.