extrude along path

I've been extruding curved nurbs lines to form 3D curb and gutters on site plans. One curve worked very nicely, one curve did not. The one that did not work shows up as a series of straight segments instead of nicely rounded curves. The only difference between the good one path and the bad one path is that the 'bad' one has verticies that are 3rd degree, whereas the good one has 2nd degree verticies (as indicated in the OIP).

Is this a known bug ? Is there something I'm doing wrong ? How can i change the verticies from 3 to 2 degree without affecting the curve position/form ?

PS; I searched for all the resolution preferences and they are all turned up as high as possible. Both good and bad curves show up as nicely curved in the top/plan views, but the bad one becomes segmented in 3d vies.

PSS; one curiosity: when I hover the mouse over the 'bad' curve, the selection highlite shows up as if the curve is nicely rounded (not segmented). Go figure !?@#