Cloned object path tool

IanH

Question

I, like many others, often find that two objects need to be created just the achieve the desired result.

How about an object that automatically cloned/linked another, such that the shape or path came from the original object, but other attributes, including layer, class, plane, pen, fill etc etc which were specific to the new cloned object but the shape being common to both?

Maybe it could also have an offset attached to allow the cloned object to be a slightly different size to the original.

I can think of so many instances in the past where this would be useful and looking on the forum, its often the answer to so many work arounds where you create a duplicate object with slightly different attributes.

The trouble with all these work arounds is that you end up managing twice the number of shapes that you need to. With the cloned object, reshaping (either) would affect all linked/cloned objects automatically.

2 answers to this question

No really, but I guess, a bit like.

The cloned object is part of the drawing, not a resource.

Taking a recent issue, you could have a piece of text. The original would be black with no fill. The cloned/lined object would take the text from the original, but you could have no pen, solid fill, 50 percent opacity, or a gradient.

You change the text, both objects change accordingly.

Or you could have a solid. One object could be 2D with one fill, invisible in 3D, the clone/link could have a different fill, be invisible in 2D but visible in planer 3D. So the object would effectively have a different view for 2D and 3D.