Sunbeams

ghunter64

I would like to produce "sunbeams" similar to those shown in the attached photo.

At first I though I could do it by adding some image props, setting the sun direction, and turning on Lit Fog in the HDRI background I am using. But I discovered that Renderworks does not light fog for "Directional" light sources, and since the VW sun is a directional light source I figured that's why it doesn't work.

Second, I got rid of the sun, added a Spot light source put it roughly in the same position that the sun appeared to be coming from in the HDRI environment. The problem is that it lights the fog all around the light, the sky basically whites out, and there isn't enough directional light to cause the image props to cast shadows.

Third, converted the Spot source to a Lighting Instrument, added a breakup gobo, cranked up the output of and set the lighting properties for the scene. Nothing at all!

Has anyone had any experience in producing scenes like that attached in an outdoor RW environment (specifically the beams)?

Thanks

Edited by ghunter64