Texture orientation on Window and Door elements

Kevin Keys

Question

I have been complaining ( yes, complaining) about, in my opinion, something that I consider to be THE most negative aspect of what is otherwise a fabulous piece of software.

To date, this bug, for lack of a better description, still remains within VW. It concerns the lack of ability to have, for example, a wood grained texture, going in the correct direction, around the elements such as the 'Trim', or casing, around doors and windows. Obviously, in the real world, wood grain goes vertically on vertical trim and horizontal on horizontal trim pieces, right? Yes, right.

But, when configuring the Trim ( as well as several other items of a window or door PIO) you can only pick one direction, which totally cheapens the accuracy of a Photorealistiic Rendering.

It is a bit like swimming 10 miles and then drowning 3 feet from shore, after spending time to do a nice Rendering in RW and having all the trim, casing, and frames of doors and windows in the file appear completely unrealistic, because of this non natural look of the wood grain applied to the elements of windows and doors in VW.

So......because I do a LOT of Rendering I would certainly appreciate someone who writes the code for these items at Nemetschek to put some attention on addressing this bug. It can definitely be accomplished. I know this for a fact because the program "Interior Cad", which works within VW has absolutely resolved this issue and can display the wood grained textures as they should be, in real life, on vertical and horizontal members.

Thanks

1 answer to this question

I am not sure I can adequately articulate the extent to which I agree.

How about the word completely? It will have to suffice.

Seems when one ungroups a door you find the root extrusion is a double line polygon (or otherwise not an arrangement of rectangles).

Rectangles would produce simple extrudes with correct texture rotation assuming the code writers would have the program extrude correctly so the textures map properly.

So very annoying this existing bush league solution.