help! wall fill (plan view) to stand out in 3D

Hello all,

newbie here :blush:

sorry if im asking a stupid question here, but i normally use autocad and im trying to learn vectorworks fluently enough to draw a simple floor-plan of a house...

i am a beginner to this program and i am wanting to know:

-how i can make the walls with a fill/colour appear 3D

-how do i add a shadow to the walls

-how do i check what measurments the program is running in? (ft/m) and how can i change this?

-how do i set the size of the template, eg to make it have a bigger area to draw a bigger plan?

if sombody can sombody help me it would be much appreciated!!

i want my floor plans to look exactly like this....:

Floor%20plan%20in%20corporate%20colours2.jpg

Floor Plan

Looks like a concrete precast wall system with full storey height external panels or is it single storey height "Brick 'n Stick construction"? Either way this will influence the set up of your MODEL, layers, classes and (save as) templete. The shadows and colors are generated in rendered 3D MODEL Top view..I suggest you read the manual.

oh crap im screwed (iv NO idea what u just said) lol, but thanks anyway...

i have no idea how this image was ...i just know that I WANT MY WALLS TO LOOK LIKE THAT, once ive drawn my plan (which is easy enough).

there is no way i can just insert a fill or sumthing to giv it that effect or any other command on vectorworks that can do it????

if u guys have any ideas would love to hear them!!!

(plz bear in mind im a total newbie & dnt know alot of techy stuff yet :(

Is this the thing you want?

If you want the file, just contact me.

It's not that hard. Just make your walls with two components, one light and one dark. Set them by class. That way, you will be able to change the colors later through viewports.

For the shadow, you have to use the solution as mentioned above. Just use low walls and turn of some classes.

Isn't it easier to do the plans in VWs and the colors and shadows in Photoshop?

(It seems like a strange way of representing walls though? The shadows I can understand but shading the inside of the walls is rather strange.....me thinks..:))

It all depends for what you need those plans. If you haven't got anything, and want presentation plans, but non other than that, I think it's faster done in VW once you have set up a base file for it. I really don't think you use those walls for implementation plans.

If you have already plans, you can very easily convert them to this kind of plans through viewports and overrides etc... This way, when the plans change, your presentation plans will also be update. And with this thought in mind, I really think VW is much faster than photoshop, but you need a first setup to do it of course.