Exporting to Image File

Make sure you have QuickTime installed. If you have QuickTime 5.x installed, you may be missing some components needed for the export. Go to apple.com/quicktime and download QT 5.x. When installing select a Custom installation. At the dialog screen prompting you to select the various components to install, select all the components and proceed with the installation. Once that is complete, you may need to reboot your computer. When you open VW, you should be able to export.

When I choose File/Export/Export Image File nothing happens. I have set View/Projection/Perspective and adjusted the handles to frame the section I want exported, but the menu choice just goes away without any further options or any noticeable hard disk action, etc. I am using 9.5 and Windows XP Professional.

I have the same problem exporting image files. I'm running VW 8.5.2 and Quick Time 5.0.2 on Win98SE.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled QT from the Apple site ... chose all the options on the install ... then rebooted. Still nothing.

I've blown the better part of a morning trying to work this out ... unistalled and reinstalled VW, QT, etc .... I've tried everything this list says I'm supposed to try, all to no avail.

Can anyone help???

mtb

Matthew, When you go to File>Export>Export Image file, are you getting an Export Image File dialog screen?

If you are, what is specified for the width and height and resolution dimensions? What type of file are you trying to export? When you click on Save, does it just stall or not do anything?

If the last is the case, then the file you are trying to export may be too large for memory and Quick Time to handle. If this is the case, check to make sure the drawing is at the 0,0 origin point and not way off from the center 0,0 point. You can set a perspective to specify only that section to get exported which will save on the file size a little. Go to View>Projection>Perspective. This will place a dashed line with 4 black corners on your screen. Resize this so that your drawing fits inside of it. You may have to zoom out to grab the corners of the perspective crop. This will "crop" the drawing and set the coordinate limits for the export. Then go to File>Export>Export Image file and try to export the image file.

Hey Katie, thanks very much for the help!

I got it working again -- it was definitely a QuickTime problem, old dll's or something ... had to uninstall Quicktime and Vectorworks, then reboot, then reinstall both programs, then reboot one more time and that seemed to do the trick.

I can understand why VW depends on QT for this feature, but I gotta say it's not very slick. I know some will disagree with me, but I strongly believe the image export function should be written into the core VW program. Having to load (and REload) other programs to get VW to work properly is klutzy, to say the least. The ONLY reason I let QT take up any space on my drive is for this ONE thing in VW -- wish I could delete QT altogether.

just my 2 cents

Matthew BrehmEugene, OR