Editing Hybrid Symbols

Hi All,

I have done a search for the above topic, but so far found nothing. My question is simple: when editing a hybrid symbol how do you show 2D information when editing the 3D information and vice versa so that you can line up the two components?

I have created a set of door symbols: when I edit them the 2D part sometimes ends up 'out of register' with the 3D part, which means I have to measure the error and move one part or the other to compensate.

Surely overlaying 2D over 3D to avoid this kind of problem is straightforward?

Cheers

Rob

Hi...

What I usually do in these situations, is:

Copy the objects in the view I want to use as a guide and paste in place in the view I am editing. Thereafter, do all the editing that I need to and then delete the 'guide' geometry.

Depending on the geometry, I may group them for easy deletion at the end. Also, If you forget to delete, then you will have a duplicate of the 'guide' object(s) in it's particular 2D/3D view.

Furthermore, if you have created one view and need to create the other, you can do this in the same view and upon exiting the symbol, both components would be separated.

For instance, you have created your door in 3D only. Whilst in the 3D edit mode in plan view, trace over the geometry with 2D objects. Upon exiting the symbol you should have both components separated by 2D and 3D.

*tip... ensure that the 2D objects that you create after the symbol is defined are in screen plane,

Thanks for the reply, Farookey.

It seems strange to me that you can't see both sets of information at the same time whilst in editing mode. Still, I like your copy/paste solution as a work around.

What is the benefit of having the 2D components in screen plane instead of layer plane?

Rob

Hi Rob... no worries... any time!

Benefit??? Try it yourself, and you'll see...

Having it in screen plane should allow you to view the 2D portion of the symbol in top/plan view ONLY. Whereas layer plane would make the 2D component also visible in 3D mode and can only be edited through the 3D component of the symbol (as opposed to the 2D component). So, you will see (in a 3D view, both, the 3D component of the symbol as well as the 2D component of the symbol which would be 'lying down' on the layer

You can have 2D symbols in layer plane if you wish. Not the actual 2D component, but the symbol itself.

Hi Rob... no worries... any time!

Benefit??? Try it yourself, and you'll see...

Having it in screen plane should allow you to view the 2D portion of the symbol in top/plan view ONLY. Whereas layer plane would make the 2D component also visible in 3D mode and can only be edited through the 3D component of the symbol (as opposed to the 2D component). So, you will see (in a 3D view,