Sign in to follow this  
Peter Eichel

Framing

I need to calculate the lineal feet of 2x8 needed to box frame the windows and doors in the exterior walls for a residential project. I was thinking of using the difference between the gross & net areas of the exterior walls and somehow manipulating it to produce a rough but adequate figure. Otherwise, is there window and door data I can use in a worksheet to accomplish this?

Please don't suggest I use VW's framing tool.

Could you use the Rough Opening Height and Width? Windows would be 2x R.O. Width + 2x R/O Height, Doors would be 1x R.O. Width + 2x R.O. Height. You may need to class the doors and windows so that you are sure you're getting the proper ones, (i.e. exterior doors)

Hope that helps?

Tobias, thanks. It occured to me that I already have a window schedule so why not try to access the data you recommended. I discovered that you can access data from one worksheet into another. You can access both the width and height (2 columns) into a single column and add them together. Add a multiplier to the formula and you have your 2x8 linear data.

The door data, like you said, is a problem because it access's all of the doors, not just the exterior ones. I didn't want to mess around with multiple classes so I manually added the data and entered it into the worksheet. Not much work as there are a lot fewer exterior doors than windows in residential construction.

Now it's on to roof data.