Line Weights when importing DWG

When you export to a DXF/DWG file, and you check the map line weights to color option in the export dialog. The program will set the color of the lines based on the VectorWorks line thickness. If you had independently colored the lines, this information will be discarded.

Likewise, when you import a DXF/DWG the color information will be translated to VectorWorks line weight and for your convenience the color will be retained.

Since VectorWorks has both attributes, only one may be sent out to AutoCAD in the export. If you instead want to work with just color information. Uncheck the map line weights to colors box when you do an export. This will cause VectorWorks to ignore the thickness of the VectorWorks line.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

What are the units for these widths (.013,.009)? Sorry, i'm a programmer...

I assume the numbers are either centimeters or inches, and that you have a list that says something like "color 1 (red) = .009" for each color, and that you're trying to import this and have the correct lineweight in VW.

If the numbers are cm, so .013 = .13mm, then in the mapping dialog on import, select the appropriate color/number on the left, and use the popup menu to choose "Set thickness", and in the set thickness dialog choose mm and type in .13.

If the numbers are in inches, then .013 = 13 mils, so in the set thickness dialog choose mils and type 13.

On export, reverse the process.

Hoping someone can help me with this. Im having problems retaining the appropriate line widths set by consultants using acad. When importing dwg files v-works 8.5.2 recommends color changes to the color lines in the dwg file. Since acad drawing line widths are determined by color does this change affect the line widths? I have the intended line widths from the consultant to the thoundsanth decimal place(given in pen nib widths, .013,.009 etc.), but can only seem to adjust vworks lines to the hundredth decimal place. Is there a way to set the widths appropriately when importing?

Any help is greatly appriciated! confused.gif" border="0