Sign in to follow this  
jarjones

#d polys to solid objects

I've imported an object that came in as 232 3D polys. Is there a way to group/join/add them so that the parts will work as a single texture? Right now the texture seems to treat each poly as a whole so the texture does not wrap from one side of the object to another.

I've tried adding surfaces, joining, combine into surface, converting to generic solids; all tell me I have illegal objects selected. Is there a way to make, say the faucet of a sink that is in 3D polys into an object that is separate from the sink it's on and that will apply a smooth texture?

Thanks for your assistance

Jeff A.R. Jones

Resident Designer

Carolina Ballet

Try converting to mesh. Sometimes you have to do it in parts, then selects the parts and add solids.

This is the best I can remember, it's been a while since I did this. If you would post the file here it would be a big help.

It would be great if you could take a look. How do I go about posting the file?

Jeff

Thanks for the offer of assistance; I found a plug in for the free SketchUp that lets you export as a dxf file, and that seems to be working quite well for the importing. Then the converting to mesh you suggested makes a selected bunch of polygons behave like an object. Thanks again.

Jeff