database and 3rd dim

g4 533, OS 9.1, vworks 8.5.2

I'm trying to build a worksheet that will list 3d extrudes and report the height width and depth. Height and width is obvious and I am able to get depth with =volume/width/height, but the list won't summarize correctly. So if I have 5 objects with the same dims I might get a list like:

3 - 3/4x24x361 - 3/4x24x361 - 3/4x24x36

Furthermore, the summary changes if the objects are moved!

Is this a limitation of 8.5.2 that is working in 9? Might this be part of the upcoming Mechanical add-on? Or am I missing something?

FYI: This is a parts list for a cabinet-shop. I'm currently using records for the 3rd dim and that works. What I have in mind would be simpler and less prone to error from filling in and attaching records.

Thanks for any input.

Mathew

Thanks for responding. I'm not able to send the file as it has become 2d only. I've tried to recreate a simplified version of the original and so far it works fine! I have a hunch it had something to do with how I was using "sum". If I run into this again I'll save a copy.

FYI: I did have to recalculate to see the changes. The only search criteria was class and the only functions were =c, =count, =width, = height, and =volume/width/depth. The extrudes were from 3d symbols converted to groups and ungrouped, could this have something to do with it?

Anyway, thanks for putting me back to work on this. It has huge potential in my line of work.

The summary in the database header row is simply the sum of the subsequent rows that are part of the query.

This should not be changing if you are moving objects or even creating and deleting objects. In VectorWorks 8 and 9, a worksheet will not automatically recalculate itself.

To see the correct, updated totals you would have to open the worksheet and use the recalculate command in the pulldown menu.

I think it would be helpful here to have someone look at the actual file that is giving you this problem. Can you please email it to tech@nemetschek.net with a description of the problem or link back to here on the message board?

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by ccroft:
g4 533, OS 9.1, vworks 8.5.2

I'm trying to build a worksheet that will list 3d extrudes and report the height width and depth. Height and width is obvious and I am able to get depth with =volume/width/height, but the list won't summarize correctly. So if I have 5 objects with the same dims I might get a list like:

3 - 3/4x24x361 - 3/4x24x361 - 3/4x24x36

Furthermore, the summary changes if the objects are moved!

Is this a limitation of 8.5.2 that is working in 9? Might this be part of the upcoming Mechanical add-on? Or am I missing something?

FYI: This is a parts list for a cabinet-shop. I'm currently using records for the 3rd dim and that works. What I have in mind would be simpler and less prone to error from filling in and attaching records.

Thanks for any input.