Import'g A'cad XREF

Richard,

Although there is no support of X-Refs in VectorWorks at this time, you can achieve what you want to do with VectorWorks 9.

You will need all the files (including the reference files) from the engineer, import them into VectorWorks, Select all your objects, place them into the "none" class via the Object Info palette, then copy and paste them into a blank document. From there, you can set up and assign the classes how you like.

Perhaps other users have more information regarding this if they have found a better way of doing this.

Hope this helps.

I really need some assistance on a project that is coming at me like a freight train. I have these drawings that were emailed and cannot get any assistance from the arrogant engineering consultant that sent them to me. It seems that he has an XREF sent to him from an architect, that he has done his work on, and by contract was to furnish to the sub-contractors his work that without fail was to be adhered to. I have managed to get these things sorted out to the parts that I need. I want to strip the layer/class identification, put all on one layer or class and modify them to appear when and where I want them, ie reflected ceilings, lights, ductwork, steel, etc.

HOW DO I DO THAT?

I don't want to say that it is AutoCAD’s fault as they are not trying to be compatible to us, but rather we are trying to convert their files to be compatible. The technology is being worked on from our side to get x-refs to come in, however it is not ready at this time and there is no guarantee that this will be achieved.

Thanks Brian O, I was not implying that here is fault to bear, by anyone, but dxf was their idea, they don't support it or try to. The "only hope" is V'works, and you're doing well, it is a struggle and we shouldn't expect input from a'desk to make our lives easier, for my part, thanks for trying.....