Export to W3D standard

Hi mathew,As W3D is "new", I'm not sure if this is correct, but as I understand it;.....Director is the first program to be able to produce an interactive "real" 3D environment that is capable of web-based application. That is; you can build a 3D environment, residing in your web server, that the punters can log into and "navigate" around. (not just go on a slide show or movie) Sounds pretty neat. (although I can feel an excess of "dungeons" around the corner)The catch is that Director needs the 3D file to be in the W3D format to work on.Unfortunately DXF won't do it.Given VW's capabilities, it would be good when I get my upgrade to VW9.5 smile.gif" border="0 to be able to build directly in it rather than having to go via a competitors 3D capable program wink.gif" border="0 Hmmmm

Are there any plans to look at this export format?

cheers, Nicholas

Actually this sort of technology appears every few years and everyone seems to think it is brand new and the best thing since sliced bread. So far it has never caught on.

We do support an earlier form of what you describe, its called VRML (Virtual reality markup language). Right now we only support the VRML 1.0 specification, not the more up to date v2.

Since this technology has never really caught on, we have not put many resources into developing it. However if W3D does become popular and it is an open specification, we will most likely add support for it in the future.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by UserName:
Hi mathew,As W3D is "new", I'm not sure if this is correct, but as I understand it;.....Director is the first program to be able to produce an interactive "real" 3D environment that is capable of web-based application. That is; you can build a 3D environment, residing in your web server, that the punters can log into and "navigate" around. (not just go on a slide show or movie) Sounds pretty neat. (although I can feel an excess of "dungeons" around the corner)The catch is that Director needs the 3D file to be in the W3D format to work on.Unfortunately DXF won't do it.Given VW's capabilities, it would be good when I get my upgrade to VW9.5
smile.gif" border="0
to be able to build directly in it rather than having to go via a competitors 3D capable program
wink.gif" border="0
Hmmmm

Are there any plans to look at this export format?

cheers, Nicholas