EXTRACT TOOL VW 2010

Hi all

I have a question re the extract tool. I Extrude a simple rectangle from 2D geometry , When edges are extracted from a solid they are "redlines" in a group. I then ungroup to make adjustments to the geometry , i.e. offset etc but i cannot trim these lines (as they are nurbs curves) so do I then convert to lines, and ungroup again to trim then compose to be able to extrude. Is there a more direct route to this approach ?

Thanks Matt

Matt

The extract tool produces a nurbs surface. It appears red because VW automatically creates a new class, Redsurfaces, and assigns the attributes by class. You can change the class or attributes to be whatever you want.

To edit the surface, just double click on it and VW switches to the 3D reshape tool. That will allow you to edit the shape of the surface.

hth

michaelk

Matt

Sorry, I misread your post. You are probably extracting curves, not surfaces. :blush:

So the default class is Redcurves.

Yes you can ungroup them and convert them to lines, but they will then loose their 3Dness.

Or you can just double click them and move their vertices, add vertices, subtract vertices and change vertex types with the 3D reshape tool.

Hi Michaelk

Thanks for your reply. I'll give that a try. Can I recompose lines and convert back to Nurbs again to reinstate their 3Dness or do I loss some of the properties by doing this?

Its great to have a place where new users can post queries re the hurdles they are encountering.

Thanks

Matt