How do I fix an extrusion that generates the "..locked or are illegal in 3D..."

Hello Support,

Why is that when I make any type of extrusion that is not a simple rect or circle, I get the above error close to 50% of the time?

I used simple, line and arcs to build a profile, "composed" the profile. Then extruded it. Did a render and its ok. Made a circle, extruded it, and tried to add the two solids and got the error above and my profile was unpicked.

This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Ron

p.s. VW 10.5.1, MacOSX 10.3.3

The complete message is:

"There were objects selected which are locked or are illegal in 3D solids. They have been deselected."

As far as I can tell this is a generic message, I have gotten it when I had end points that did not match, when I forgot to "ungroup", and some time I have no idea as to why I get this error.

I wish it would be a bit more specific at to what is the problem.

Thanks,

Ron

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is not a message that says that the operation failed. This is an alert message which says that there were some illegal objects (example: light object) in your selection e.g. if you did a select all before doing Add Solids - the system deselects the objects for which Add Solids is meaningless.

What you should do is issue the Add Solids command again - and it should work.

I often get this error when I am trying to add two solids together. And I am aware that I can't have "grouped" solids or loci, etc.

It seems to happen the most when I am trying to add a extruded solid to a revolved solid. Some time it works, some time it does not. I just don't see a pattern.

Thanks,

Ron