Dual Monitors

The use of dual monitors sounds very interesting. Definately want more of the drawing on the screen and less of the tools.

My question is, with not belonging to some large practice, cost is one thing.

If I upgrade my video card, can I use the old video card for the second monitor, or do you need two identical video cards as I have heard.

It seems logical that the second monitor which is viewing just tools and palettes does not need a real flash vidio card.

And one final question.

When you have two monitors, how do you access that second monitor with your mouse? - is it a keyboard shortcut. I use an optical mouse which has extra side buttons which one is able to assign other shortcuts to - perhaps just one click of the mouse puts you on the second monitor.

With thanks to those who reply.

Are you running MacOS or Windows? On the Mac, any old video cards will do for a two monitor setup provided they each work in your computer, and they both fit at the same time, of course. The definitely don't have to be the same. My understanding is that things are about the same on Windows. Keep in mind that some video cards are designed for AGP slots while others fit into PCI slots (true on both Mac and Windows).

Accessing the other monitor is truly a no-brainer. The two monitors are like adjacent windows onto one large desktop, so you simply move the mouse across the appropriate edge of one of the monitors and you see it appear on the other. For example, I've got a second monitor just to the right (both logically and physically) of my main monitor. They work just like one big monitor, and I can drag windows, icons, etc. between them. I'm told that it's about the same under Windows.

[This message has been edited by Caleb Strockbine (edited 08-24-2001).]