VectorWork 8.5.2 Problem: Worksheet Summation

I currently set my worksheet to do a variety of calculations, but the end sumamtion total is wrong.

The scenario is that I have made a worksheet that has a column for square footages of rooms and another columns for square footage per person for occupancy counts. The square footage is divided by the ratio and the result is displayed in another column with the column set not to show any decimal numbers.

However, when I another cell to be the summation of the occupancy count number, the result is a couple off than if I check it with a calculator. After some investigation, I believe that VectorWorks still maintains the decimal values (though they don't show) and uses those values in the final summation. That is why the final summation is a little off.

Is there any way to make VectorWorks to sum only the shown, non-decimal values?

Thanks,

F_

Have you tried using the INT( ) function? You may need to create an extra column (but it can be hidden at far right from printing). It rounds down to an integer -- may work in your case for occupancy counts. Too bad VW (8.5.2) doesn't have CEILING( ). Also, there may be some convoluted ways of doing it with the IF( ) function.

Fred,

Archken makes a good suggestion here. The display format only affects how the numbers display, not what they really are. Using INT will eliminate the decimal portion, leaving the next-lowest simple integer. You may in fact want the ROUND function will round the number to the closest simple integer. For example:

"=INT(8.7)" will return "8"

"=ROUND(8.7)" will return "9"

Regards,

Sean

------------------

Sean Flaherty

CTO

Nemetschek North America

flaherty@nemetschek.net

[This message has been edited by SeanFlaherty (edited 08-18-2001).]