VW2008 crashing

This happens when I use the Place Plant tool and try to Edit Plant Definitions. Program crashes with following message: Instruction at "0x5ad71531" referenced memory at "0x00000014". The memory could not be "read". Click on ok to terminate the program. Anyone come across this and have any fixes? I have just upgraded my physical RAM to 2Gb and have set my Page file at 1.5 times this at 3072Gb.

That seems to be a fairly common error message for applications crashing. It seems to point to a conflict with another application.

Try disabling any virus protection/firewall programs/spyware apps etc.

You may want to scan for viruses/spyware.

Anything new installed lately?

Try updating your video drivers.

If it's any consolation, I have also experienced several complete lock-ups in VW2008, with the same error message. Since it said, "memory could not be read", I assumed there must be a defect in one of the modules. But I ran two different memory testers, and found no problems. I have investigated several other options: QuickTime glitches, AutoCAD content, Anti-Virus interference, etc. But still no definitive answer to what causes that particular error.

More info re this fault - It seems to only happen when I use symbols which I have created myself, existing VW symbols seem ok??

Did the use of these symbols cause a problem before you upgraded your memory?

Did you mix old and new memory modules?

Can you revert to the previous memory setup and see if it still happens?

A Google search of this problem doesn't point to a single culprit.

When I had a similar problem several years go, I started using Diskeeper to prevent disk fragmentation. It runs in the background during idle periods and have not had the problem since. Unfortunately, there seem to be so many possible causes that this may not help in our case. If it only happens when using the symbols mentioned above, I would focus on them before doing anything drastic.

gh

Finally got round to looking at this post again. Thanks for all the responses. I have Kaspersky AV running all the time, but will do another scan for viruses - doubtful though. Updated my video drivers last week before the problem appeared. But have not upgraded to SP3 - would this really help? Did not try it bedore memory upgrade so don't know if it would haver happened before the upgrade. Will investigate Diskeeper, but already have Windows de-frag utility scheduled once a week - would fragmentation really cause the problem?

In my opinion fragmentation would not cause problems. Today's disks are fast enough so it isn't the problem it once was.

Agreed, I cannot prove any cause and effect related to Diskeeper only that, in my case, the problem went away.

Jeremy, the defrag built into XP is a scaled down version of Diskeeper from the same company.

I'd try to go back to your previous memory cofig, if possible and see if those symbols trigger the event. Did you mix "old" RAM with "new", or all "new" in the upgrade?

A Google search of the error message points to a variety of possible causes. Everything from misbehaving apps to registry problems.

gh