VectorScript editor

maarten.

Question

There are a few things about the VS Editor that start to irritate me. But i'm only scripting for a few months, so maybe some of my frustrations and wishes are coming straight from my not so good working methode. So feel free to correct me.

This is how i would like it to be

nieuwevseditorjz1.png

• Numbering the lines
  • The use of colors. For example:
    • all the things between accolades ( { } ) should be in a different color then the rest of the code. That way you'll see immediately what's information (or temporary code) and what's not.
    • Every time you start a new step (with BEGIN of REPEAT or....), the part after that should have an other color then the rest. So everything between BEGIN and END should have an other color. That way you'll see immediately if you forgot an END or so, and you'll have a better sight of the code in general
    • The possibility to mark some pieces of code (to mark some code that you need to have an other look at next time (for example))

[*]The possibility to divide the screen in two, so that you can see two pieces of the code at ones. That way you can look at a function at the beginning of the script while working at some code at the end of the script. And you can also look at and can ad variables at the beginning of the script while working at the end of the script... this will eliminate a lot of scrolling for me.

To solve this, i now have a text document with the code in it, so i can see other parts of the script... But this text document is never up to date of course...

Some other things (not included in the picture):

• If you click on a variable, it would be handy of that variable will be marked troughout the whole script, so that way you can find it very easly.
  • when you have a label in your script (GOTO 99;), it would be cool if you just have to click on that line and you'll go to that part of the script (in this example it would be 99:)
  • An option to search in the code and also to search and replace pieces of code (like the text editor of OSX can)

About the compile errors:

foutpi3.png

• First of all, it's not very handy that the errors are shown in a different dialog. When you have more then one error, you need to copy the error to an extern text document so that you can solve fault by fault. That why i think it would be cool if they would appear in the VS editor dialog itself. That way you can see them while working on the script
  • It would also be great when you'd move to that line when you click on the error (see yellow marker)
  • Skip the extra lines between every {explanation}. I don't want to scroll through a whole page if i only have 3 errors.

An other idea that i had:

in stead of working with dialogs, it would be better to work with pallets. Those you can put next to each other and work in simultaneous. Then you'll get someting like this:

samenow1.png

That way you can adjust the parameters while working on the code and you see your errors all at ones...

And then the Debugger. It would be handy that you could debug from within the VS module (so that you don't have to go to your drawing to run it). And it would also be good if you could choose what you would like to debug... So i want to be able to select an object and run the debugger on that object, or even draw an object and run it on that one... That would mean that we need a new button that will bring us (temporary) in the drawing to select or create the object.

It would save a lot of time, cause you don't need to go to your drawing (not the big problem) and not back to the VS module after the debugging (that's the problem, it takes some time before it loads because VW needs to check all plug ins in the map...)

Don't know how you all think about it, but it would sure help me saving some time.

4 answers to this question