Organizing Layers and Sheets

When crating sheets and layer I have a question about the two. For example I have created my model 1st flr, 2nd. flr layers ect. From the model layer I then can create viewports and place them accordingly on the specific sheet. Let's say I wanted to create my 1st flr electrical plan- Do i add all the outlets, switches, ect on the electrical sheet by using the annotation edit and adding these features or do I created the electrical in the model layer and assign it a specific class? Also do I not put any dimensions in the model, do I only put dimensions on the appropriate sheet.

I g

I do as much work as possible in the design layer. If you add your electrical plan objects in the viewport annotations, then change the plan on the design layer you will have more work moving everything in the viewport. Using classes for visibility in the design layer is the way to go. The only time I dimension in viewport annotations is for large scale details.

My recommendation:

If you are representing a real world item...such as an electrical outlet...place it in the model.

If you are annotating a drawing place it as annotation in a viewport.

Some hybrid objects...such as doors contain their own annotation, so following this rule strictly is likely to be more difficult than it's worth.

You can also use co-spatial layers (layers having the same z coordinate) to organize the model.

For example your first floor electrical information could sit on it's own layer.

The electrical layer would have the same z-coordinate and delta-z as the first floor model.

The advantage of co-spatial layers is that it is often easier to grey out" other information quickly in a viewport than it is with classes.