VW 2008 Smart Cue's & Snap to Edge Point

Try this one from Left View - on Front View it snap to a degree if you hang onto it. The snap is just not true "snappy" in Front View. I get this as a constant on objects which is split or heve holes in - and if yo adjust the extrudes then it is most of the times 0.1 - 0.2 of the seted length or thickness etc.

I believe it is because your object (solid section) is rotated -7.6? in the Y-axis to show the cross section orthogonally in a side view. Snapping works best when your view is orthogonal to the object. You are orthogonal to an arbitrary face of your object, but VW still sees it as rotated -7.6?. I think you found a limitation of the software, but not a true bug.

Raymond

TX

Same happens on a solid in a fairly large file where you do a lot of splitting and fitting holes in a solid in VW 2008 - not in VW 12.5. That is only an extraction of 1 x part of a small file of 11 MB. If that one is like that, just think how many other members does the same and not at an angle setting even. - Driving me nuts as I use only 3D in 99% of all dwg's.

Best of all is that the bug is admitted by TECH support and that the engineers is working on it from November 2007 but no word till now. The problem is that excluding the nuts driving factor is the total unreliabilty an incorrectness of VW 2008.

Just thought there maybe something else that someone may pick up.

Here is a typical occurence that is an integral problem of VW 2008 3D capabilities.

This comes out of a file - it is a 50 x 50 x 5 Angle - note horisontal it is still 5 mm but the vertical is 4.98 mm.

It happens after duplicate mode was used and the extrude length was changed.

It just means if you work with VW the you cannot edit anything as it is completely untrustworthy as it sometimes gets to this point and other times it does not. Waste time in doiing everything over and over again.

Hi Conrad,

???The Poly inside the Extrude matches the 5.00mm and 4.98mm measurements you noted. Could you submit a file with two objects, one Angle before and another Angle after your Extrude Operation? I'd like to try it and see it change. Please specify how you are duplicating it, modifying the Extr length, and what view(s) you are in.

???I tried duplicating it with an Option-Click, Cmd-D, Mirror Tool, and Menu Duplicate; then changed the Extr length with the OIP and with Reshaper 13. I even changed the Extr length in ISO views. No problems here. Either the object was off to begin with, or you are doing something I didn't guess.

Thanks,

Raymond

VW 2008 (SP2) R1 (build 82613) D/RW

MACmini, OSX 10.4.11. 2GB RAM

Is there a change that VW will give me my money back ? Will gladly do that exchange.

I got a half baked program with a problem which is from Nov 2007 at the "engineers" and are still sitting with it.

My money was not teared, screwed or half paid btw !

Again, I was not able to reproduce your results, but I do see what you are talking about. Can you outline in more detail how you create the broken shape? More detail is better.

Out of curiosity, why do you section your solids with NURBS surfaces? I have no idea if it is causing your problem, but I used a 45? Line and extruded it to a plane to make the cut. Try cutting your Angle with an Extruded Line and see if you get the same results.

Raymond