Sheet Layer Viewport-Helpful

I am arranging machinery on a shop floor, but the workstation is positioned in a way that forces me to look sideways at my screen to see it from the operators viewpoint.

Not having VW 13 with the rotatable views, I created a viewport of the area in question, placed it on a new sheet layer, and rotated it to a convenient position.

Setting the scale of the VP at 1:1 allows me to use the tape measure tool without entering the annotation window.

I created a saved view of this and one of the original design layer so I could toggle quickly back and forth.

Of course, I must return to the design layer to make changes to the plan, but the viewport makes it easier to see the effect the change has on the workstation.

This would probably work well for laying out furniture or cabinets too.

Hope someone finds this helpful.

Ray,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I have machinery on the active layer, walls and other building components visible on other layers.

If I make a symbol of this, will the visible, but non active layers be part of it? If not, how do I see the relationship of the machinery to the building?

Now that I have a symbol, I'd assume I have to create a new layer to place it on in order to see it?

And if I double click to edit the "symbol" it doesn't change the information on the original layers, does it?

Please help me to understand, as I'm happy to find easier ways to do things.