export dwg and LT SCALE -command

Juha

Hi,

When importing dwg file to VW, dash -lines are correct.

But when I export file back to dwg, dash lines are scaled somehow wrong. In autocad LT SCALE -command is generally used to scale dash lines: LT SCALE 1:100 , LT SCALE 1:50 etc...

Now, after exporting, LT SCALE mus be 1:1270 or 1:254 or something else in autocad. Which means that no one could use that file after me.

Somehow it is connected to inches / mm.

Juha

An untested theory: change the scale of all design layers to 1:1, then export.

Now, after exporting, LT SCALE mus be 1:1270 or 1:254 or something else in autocad. Which means that no one could use that file after me.

Fascinating! So, in AutoCAD it is possible to make a file unusable?

Surely here we have the supreme benchmark in AutoCAD, the epitome of user-friendliness. Maybe one day VW reaches this level of sophistication!

Sounds like a drawing units definition issue in the other product.

If I am understanding the problem correctly, you are exporting a drawing to dxf/dwg. When you open the file in a program reading that file, the measurement of the objects is off. When you change the scale so the measurements are correct in the drawing and send it to another program reading that file type, the measurements are wrong once again.

If that's the case - it's a unit of measurement definition issue outside of VW. Set the unit to be whatever the unit you've used in VW and everything should be normal.

If not, I'd love to see a file.

Thank you for tips.

But none of them worked.

I attached a couple of print screen pictures to make my point clearer. I think "my" problem is just connected to linetypes.

I draw all drawing and measuring settigs set to millimeters. (both Autocad and Vectorworks. When I get dwg (for example from architect) and import it to Vectorworks everything seems to be ok. dash lines are as they should be. But just notised that dash lines are not named as they were in Autocad. For example Autocad name DASHDOT is named Dash style#1 in Vectorworks.

Problem appears when I export file back to dwg. Linetype or linestyles are named as they were in Vectorworks (Dash style#1). Now, dash style scale is about five times smaller than it should be. If I want the linetypes to be seen as they should, I have to scale all linetypes 5.08 times bigger. In Autocad that happend by LTSCALE commad. Normally LTSCALE set to 100 the linestyles are seen as I want them to be seen, but now I have to set LTSCALE 508 .

And now when I sent dwg to third person who use Autocad the big problems starts. He/She have symbols (Autocad BLOCKS) created to linetypes that scaled normally. After that we can't see our lines right at the same time, because my dashlines are five times too tight or third person must have LTSCALE 508, when his dash lines are five times too loose.

I can send files if it helps.

I did.

And all kind of variations.

In theory I can somehow understand 2,54

But why 5,08. (2 x 2,54)

Am I stupid or how everybody else handle that?

one more thing:

When I open exported DWG in AutoCad, LTSCALE value is allready 5.08 when it should be 1.