12.5 viewports, sheet layers and keynotes

A limitation of the keynote tool seems to be that only one legend can inhabit a layer. If I have more than one drawing on a sheet, I can put them on separate design layers and I can have keynotes and keynotes legends for each layer and more than one on a sheet.

If I am using viewports and sheet layers I seem to have a problem. In theory one of the nice things about viewports is that we can crop different parts of a large plan and put more than one on a sheet layer. But you would think that each drawing would want to have it's own legend. But it seems that sheet layers only want to allow one legend. This is so even if I put the call-outs in the annotation "layer." The legend still pops out on the sheet layer itself.

I can slightly fool the system by putting the keynotes on the design layer. The problem there is if the scale of the drawing on the sheet layer is different. I can have the text scale but I can't get the callout to scale. So if I have two drawings on a sheet layer and they are at different scales, to get a second legend I have to put it on the design layer of one of the drawings, but when you look at the sheet layer the callouts are going to be different sizes when you look at both drawings at once.

I suppose I could extend the ruse by having the callouts be a different size on the design layer.

Am I missing an easy way to do what I want here?

Regards,

Donald