Data Display Bar and Start Point Repositioning

After using a basic 2D CAD program for over 20 years (RoboCad), I finally bought a copy of VectorWorks (11.5.1) over a year ago and am just now making a serious effort to learn it.

Most of my work has involved 2D drafting of horizontal and vertical lines, and circles.

I could really use some help. What should be a simple Line drawing/Cursor repositioning operation is baffling me, and I know I must be overlooking an obvious answer.

Here's my question:

When one is using the Line Tool, a Line is drawn first by a Click to specify the Line Start Point, and setting the Line End Point by either moving the Cursor the required distance or by entering the desired length into the Data Display Bar. Then the second Click at this Line End Point completes the Line. This I understand perfectly and have mastered.

What if, however, rather than completing and thus drawing the Line, I merely want to reposition the Cursor/Start Point at the ostensible Line End Point? I've poured over the manuals and message boards and can not find a simple way to do this. I've tried a Shift-Click, a Control-Click, an Option-Click, and Esc then Click, among others, with no consistent success in repositioning the Cursor/Start Point at the ostensible Line End Point.

{Actually I have stumbled upon a way to do this if I do _not_ use the Data Display Bar for direct entry. At a Line End Point, typing '2' (reselecting the Line Tool) and Clicking does the trick. All is good. But, if I use the Data Display Bar to enter the distance, etc., and type 'Return', all efforts to reposition the Cursor/Start Point at the ostensible Line End Point fail. Even the hacked method of typing '2' (or 'ESC') and Clicking results in the Cursor moving to an undesired spot, usually wherever the mouse has positioned the Cursor at the moment.}

I've read about the 'G' key for the Floating Datum, and about setting a Locus Point, but these methods seem a bit awkward for such a criminally simple task as repositioning the Cursor. I know about Snap Grids, etc, but sometimes you need a precision distance (as measured from another known point) that's not on the Grid. Entering the exact amount is quick and foolproof.

I _know_ there's got to be a way, right?

In another Topic involving the Data Display Bar and VectorWorks 2008, I agree that using the numeric keypad keys to go straight to the Data Display Bar is a good idea. And like others have said, I would also support a Preference to make the 'L' parameter the first entry, and allow an immediate return to the drawing.

Hugh Hood