image importing/ dtm modeling

i am a landscape architect using vectorworks on both a g4/256mb ram/os9.0 and a dell pIII650 256mb ram/geforce256 32 mb graphics win98 machine

i am experiencing serious probs on both when it comes to importing larger image files- that other programs such as autocad and turbo cad can open relatively easily ? the mac is able to handle it slightly better making me wonder if there is a prob with quicktime 4 or something not right with the graphic drivers

using the same file back in forth- we ran into serious probs getting it to print or even open resulting in corrupted image files- i tried using all of the formats in the import option with no specific one working the best- and when it finally opened- working on it on either machine was incredibly slow- the image is a 22mb aerial photograph- what is the best format? are there any patches to the image importing features

i also have had probs exporting images with the error of not enough ram on both- yet they both have 256 and both have it allocated to as much as stably possible.

any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated- i am trying the quicktime update- but it doesnt make since why that would be such a performance drain- is there someonein development working on a solve for this for the next release? it is only major error still keeping us in autocad