Deleting Plant ID

We have started to use the Place Plant tool using our own plant symbols in conjunction with the Plant Reference Database. In the dialogue box to create New Plant you enter a Plant ID and a Name. After creating the New Plant you cannot change the ID or the Name. Does anyone know how to delete Plant ID's or alter the ID or Name - VW12 Landmark comes with many generic Plant ID's and I would like to delete or edit them. Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Chris Weiss

When I find that I have created a plant and now want/need to change the ID, I too haven't found a way to edit this. Instead, I create a new plant with all of the info I want and I go back to the Resource Browser, right click on the plant I DON'T want, and Delete it. This way all of the plants in your Resource Browser (which are linked to your dwg) are the ones YOU created and that YOU want. It's slick and real quick. (I don't bother with the plants in the database because it just isn't user friendly and I end up wasting more time dealing with it than I do just creating my own. Last year I spent hours updating the database with alot of info that we would use, but I haven't yet found one of those plants when I go to Place a Plant.) Remember, the Resource Browser is linked to that dwg so deleting it from there only deletes if from that dwg...if you have it in another dwg too, it is not affected by the delete. If you want it gone from those as well, you need to open those Resource Browsers and delete them. If you then wanted the new plant you created put into another dwg, you could either re-create it or simply open up the Res Brow of the dwg you created it in (Files & Folders, Browse a document,find the dwg you know it's in, Open, and it is now showing in your Res Brows) right click on it, Import, and it is now also in this new dwg's Res Brows. Hope this helps!

DHbrown's way will work, but it's kinda long winded. The default plant content is defined in a file in /Libraries/Default/Plants (well it is on a PC anyway, where is where your VW executable lives). If you keep this default plant definitions file open and create/delete your plants in there then they will be accessible (or not) from all drawings you open in VW. By default (after installation) the definitions file just contains generic plants supposedly representing annuals & stuff which can get in the way if you're using real plants, so I just delete those. Always make a copy of your default plant file before you change it though, as mistakes can leave you completely dead in the water. You can also save the drawing with your latest/most complete set of plants into the folder and those plant definitions will then be available to other files. I've found that VW will take plant definitions from any VW drawing in that folder, so if you have two files in there with overlapping data then you will get duplicate plants listed.

Similarly you can edit the default 2D & 3D plant symbols in the relevant folders in the Libraries/Defaults path.

The plant reference database is just a lookup tool for plant info - adding data in here does not create a new plant to match.

Hope that makes sense!

Keith